Your accountant can no longer handle the needs of your growing company, but you are not ready for a full time controller? Perfect! Contract Controllers CPAs was founded for businesses just like yours.
A controller is more than a CPA. A controller is responsible for your company’s financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance and various special analyses.
In 1985, our accounting firm’s founder Mike Hamblin realized he was essentially working as a “contract controller.” Not a full-time employee, but a controller-for-hire, helping a variety of troubled companies to straighten out their financial and accounting issues. Recognizing the ongoing need for contract controllers, he started Contract Controllers CPAs to offer both controller-for-hire services and those of a regular accounting firm.
After more than 35 years as business accountants and financial controllers, we handle the accounting and controller needs of a range of businesses, including airlines, construction, manufacturing, retailing and wholesaling. We specialize in companies from $100,000 to $10 million in gross revenue that want to save money on taxes and improve their company’s financial well being.
Contract Controllers CPAs is a business accountant and financial controller that is…
- Experienced. We’ve been business accountants and financial controllers for over 35 years. We know what numbers should look like and what overall percentages should be. We’ve also watched countless companies make costly mistakes…and we’ve learned from every one of them, so we can steer you in a better direction as your CPA and controller.
- Responsive. If for some reason we can’t answer your call, leave a voicemail and we’ll usually get back to you in a matter of minutes. We also take the time to explain accounting and tax jargon. In fact, we encourage clients to ask tough questions of our financial accountants, because we’d rather have confident clients than confused ones.
- On-site. Not every day, all day; but when it matters, and on an ongoing basis. No matter how technical the world becomes, nothing can take the place of one-to-one human interaction, even when you’re a business accountant working with numbers. We aren’t on-site because we’re unwilling to work remotely; we’re on-site because that’s how we can do the best job as your CPA and controller.
- Ongoing. Used to seeing your CPA just once a year? Get ready to see a little more of us, because our controller service is ongoing. It’s the only way we can make the most impact on your financial health. We’re not doing our job as your controller if your appointments with us happen annually.
- Modern. Yes, with more than 35 years behind us, our experience runs deep, but we keep current. Our software and processes are heads above what other accounting firms are using.
Mike Hamblin, CPA
Mike brings over 35 years of experience to the firm as a CPA and financial controller. Raised on a small farm in the Skagit Valley area, Mike graduated from Mount Vernon High School, attended Big Bend Community College in Moses Lake, and graduated cum laude with degrees in Accounting and Aerospace from Central Washington University. After a few years living in Alaska where he earned his CPA license, he returned to Washington and started Contract Controllers in 1985, specializing in troubled company turnarounds. He received his Washington State CPA license in 1987. Mike later altered the firm to provide tax preparation, controller services and financial statement preparation. Mike lives in SeaTac with his wife Denise, who is a controller for a major import company. During his free time Mike enjoys gardening and building projects around home. He is also an aircraft owner and enjoys working on and flying his experimental aircraft. He is rated as a commercial pilot and a former flight instructor.
Denise Hamblin, Bookkeeper
Denise brings over 35 years of controller and bookkeeping experience to the firm. Denise worked for the firm from 1996 through 2005 then joined a major import company (firm client) for 11 years, she rejoined the firm July 2016. Denise lives in Seatac with her husband of 21 years. She raised 2 boys who are very successful in their chosen fields; she also has 3 grandchildren. Denise loves to travel. Her favorite place so far is Greece. In her down time, Denise loves to read and has recently started yoga. In the summer, she and Mike grow a large vegetable garden.
Tasha Vestal – Client Coordinator
Born & raised in Washington, Tasha is a graduate from Castle Rock High School. She and her husband have two energetic boys that keep them busy with sports and various activities. They moved to King County in 2014 for better opportunities for their family. Tasha joined Contract Controllers in 2017, bringing over 15 years’ experience in customer care to the team. From the beginning she has been assisting clients and staff alike. During her free time Tasha enjoys adventuring with her family, photography, gardening and camping.